- Clare Valley
- Bottle size
- 750 mL
“I first tasted Assyrtiko in August 2006 while on holiday with my wife Sue on the Greek island of Santorini, birthplace of the Assyrtiko grape variety. The crisp, acidic qualities reminded me of our Clare Valley Rieslings and yet it was a flavour I had not experienced before.
Intrigued with this newfound variety, I began the process of importing cuttings into Australia through quarantine. In August 2012 we planted Australia’s first Assyrtiko at our Lodge Hill Vineyard, a special and unique site treasured by my family and suited to this variety.
Our Assyrtiko journey has been fascinating and has enabled us to produce a wine which, I believe, is a true expression of the variety. I hope you find the flavours as interesting as I did in 2006.”
Peter Barry, Third Generation Family Winemaker.
- This wine is a vibrant pale straw colour in the glass.
- Opens with lifted floral aromatics, follwed by notes of pear and lime.
- How it tastes
- Great concentration of flavour to open, with stone like minerality running the length of the palate. A refreshing line of acidity gives the wine a lively feel, finishing with a fine chalky texture.
- Recommended food pairings
- Super refreshing, the perfect match for fresh Australian seafood.
What does the community think?
- James .
- I really enjoyed the clean, crisp, fresh, slightly citrus-ey tasting wine, a change from the same old standard varieties. Well worth a try - you won't be disappointed.