- Clare Valley
- Bottle size
- 750 mL
“I first tasted Assyrtiko in August 2006 while on holiday with my wife Sue on the Greek island of Santorini, birthplace of the Assyrtiko grape variety. The crisp, acidic qualities reminded me of our Clare Valley Rieslings and yet it was a flavour I had not experienced before.
Intrigued with this newfound variety, I began the process of importing cuttings into Australia through quarantine. In August 2012 we planted Australia’s first Assyrtiko at our Lodge Hill Vineyard, a special and unique site treasured by my family and suited to this variety.
Our Assyrtiko journey has been fascinating and has enabled us to produce a wine which, I believe, is a true expression of the variety. I hope you find the flavours as interesting as I did in 2006.”
Peter Barry, Third Generation Family Winemaker.
- Clear, palest straw colour in the glass.
- The wine opens with citrus blossom and Meyer Lemon aromas combined with honeydew melon and baking spice.
- How it tastes
- A textural and well weighted wine with great concentration. Lemon and melon flavours with a hint of flint and a saline edge. A great line of crisp acidity finishing iwth a fine talc like finish.
- Recommended food pairings
- Super refreshing, the perfect match for fresh Australian seafood.
What does the community think?
- Jim Barry
- No one has given their opinion yet.
Join the conversation, what do you think?Sign in to add your own comments and ratings
You Might Also Like